After a month of trying to run clojure REPLs and trying to get quil to talk to overtone I was ready for my first livecoding performance. Trix algorave was a great event to meet like minded people talking about code, music and creativity.
Using quil means I was doing graphics and I was supporting the music of bohrbug. The hardest part was getting two computers to be in sync on both sound and music. I could use some insights on that.
For now we were using OSC and two separate SC servers. I have a hunch that running one SC-server for both music and visuals could greatly improve the sync and the amount of data that can be shared realtime between the two interfaces. Any ideas on that are likely to be moderated very quickly 🙂
The evening was continued with Insomniark en Exoterrism both using pure supercollider and hardware controllers for quickly interfacing with the code to be concluded with a streamed set from Alex McLean. That last set showed of an impressive coding style, both fast and well executed clearly showing experience is important…
onto the next algorave Here’s the full code repo for the visuals and the full set on youtube below (atm without sound, hope to get the recording ASAP)
I was at OHM2013 for some hacking, meeting friends and meeting new people. One of them was @moldover and he brought his gear (mojo & robocaster)! As I’m building my own controller (for visuals and vegetables) I started talking to him. He was going to perform later that day at Rainbow Island. So I offered him a live VJset and after little to none preparation time I was able to fix my setup enough to get going. And so we did. And because it was fun, we did it again the next day. Inspired by the great place Rainbow Island is I gatherered some (retro) pixels during the day from dancing my little ponys to the masks from hotline miami. The people for rainbow Island added more beamers and splitters and lights and fire and the results was fun.
I uploaded something to www.zipstick.be. Actually I downloaded something onto it and uploaded something from it because it’s a host for files with an interface that becomes active as you put your stick in the topmounted usb port. So head over to wherever zipstick is located, grab your USBstick from you keychain (you should have one on your keychain if you haven’t lost your keys since 2006) and grab some nice releases while you are there. Besides the kaotec.zip (obvious choice if you’re into computed glitch stuff) I’d recommend “SURF KILL.zip” for easy listening and “Kapotski+othinspake.zip” for the excellent DD#12_B track filed under groovy broken guitar tunes I guess. More kapotski here.
on the kaotec side: the software used for the CA-tracks is homemade and on the release. pure data and probably unstable… go grab it and enjoy
I hardly have time lately to code anything at home. I just dusted of the APC and I made slight progress going almost no sound to some sound…
That is in “dongle” mode. In stand alone mode it works fine. I even added a set of capacitors so you can switch between several sorts of sounds and a light sensitive resistor for that look-without-touching-I-can-play-this-APC-touch
I was successful in attaching it to the computer with the regular standard arduino’s + firmata and playing it from puredata.But this is an arduino pro mini (5v 16Mhz, from sparkfun). Apparently firmata isn’t entirely the same on these mini’s. Although Since arduino 0017 I can connect and send data, it’s not without errors. First of all
Is what I see when I try to run the pd patch. lot’s of those, thousands…
Another weird thing is that even though pin 13 is unconnected on the arduino, It’s the only pin that seems to work. I really don’t get it. Is there some sort of different mapping? normally only pin 9-10-11 are supposed to work.
Although usually not really my style, lo-fi electronified hip-hop like this can tickle my brain. Cut-up jazzy rhythms and some glitches sounding overcompressed for a 192kbs MP3 file. Strange 8bit sounds with samples from a past era. It somehow works…
This excellent piece released on miasmah can be downloaded from the archive page. While clicking… also check out tuulanauhat, earkus’ own label, where this can be bought on vinyl.
I pimped an ordinary Atari Punk Console with some extra LEDs , a light sensitive resistor and … an arduino. It’s still a build in progress, I will have some pics up soon, but it WORKS.
I had some basic arduino sketch running, and I was fiddling with the pins on the 556 when suddenly a sound occurred. I was reproducible and so the synth was born.
I’m now working on the software which will either firmata/pduino or midi if I get the midi-in working. A third option is the netshield and puchabe.
Axiome is a mlr (monome style) pd patch. I’m still looking for a good beatslicer to built my own custom controller. This one is a candidate for sure. Provided I still don’t own a monome, I will have to hack it up so it becomes compatible with my yet-to-be-designed-budget-friendly-midi-and-osc-controller. Lucky it’s GPL’ed